Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Herringbone Xmas blocks progress.

Instead of finishing the embroidery on this quilt, which despite this picture has been bound and washed..

...because I can't decide on a font (is that the lamest excuse I've ever given, even to myself?) I've picked up my next WIP.

I cut up a charm pack of Kate Spain's Flurry into one and a half inch strips to be my leader and Enders project but it didn't seem to progress at all. When I had a burst of sewjo on Monday night I realised that some strips hadn't been cut to the correct width.

I had already tried to randomise the strips and couldn't face either a) trimming them one by one as I came across them, or b) sorting them from the pile and cutting them down. I just wanted to sew.

Hopefully once all the Christmas nibbles are artfully arranged on the runner no-one will notice the fatter blocks. ( The phrase 'do my blocks look fat in this?' springs to mind. ) Here are the seven trimmed blocks just waiting for their sashing - probably Kona Snow with pebble quilting. Sorry about the late night, indoor light grainy pic.


linking to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

No finishes this week but progress is good ;-)



Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Slow progress..

This quilt has been a challenge. I have unpicked a lot. And not just once..

Due to my first thread choice shredding and breaking, a lot of unpicking was necessary.

and get rid of the dodgy square spiral accented by the dark bobbin thread...times six.

And again.....I thought I'd free motion petal shapes inside the two stars, notice the particularly lovely convergence of lines in the centre - cue unpicking.

It only takes a few minutes to sew but hours to unpick. You'd have thought I would have learnt my lesson but oh no, I ploughed on. In all I must have spent at least 10 hours unpicking various errors.

At this point I had a change of mind and decided to embroider baby R's details in the stars.

But due to the hot mess left by all that unpicked thread I thought the quilt should be washed to get rid of all the holes before I stared the embroidery. Which meant I needed to apply the binding. I machine stitched the binding onto the front before heading to Edinburgh for a few days over the school half term.

During the drive there and back I was able to hand stitch the back of the binding down. One bit of good news is that I finally seem to be getting the hang of turning the corners.

The quilt is washed and hanging up to dry for a bit before going into the dryer. This is the first time I've washed and dried a quilt, so fingers crossed.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced